“Impact investments are investments made with the intention of generating measurable social and environmental impact alongside financial return.”
– The Global Impact Investing Network
There are new Australian intermediaries offering impact investment opportunities. Check out:
- Impact Investment Group – creates impact investment opportunities which generate attractive financial returns to investors and deliver meaningful change for society.
- Social Ventures Australia – works with innovative partners to invest in social change.
- The Difference Incubator – developing investment ready enterprises that create positive social impact and are financially sustainable.
Some case studies of impact investment include:
- The GoodStart deal – Australia’s first large impact investment as a reaction to the collapse of ABC Learning.
- Streat – an example of a social enterprise that received impact investment to acquire two cafes and a roasting business. It provides homeless youth with the life-skills, work experience and training to start a career in hospitality.
- Team Wild Yachting – a Queensland yachting enterprise that develops life skills for and empowers at-risk individuals.
- Have a look at the Impact Australia report which provides a foundation for understanding impact investing in the Australian context.
- SVA Consulting Quarterly released their How to grow impact investing report which explores the factors needed to see this market flourish.
- There have been specific reports written for superannuation funds and charitable trusts and foundations which analyse the current landscape, myths and challenges.
- Sonen Capital published the Evolution of an Impact Portfolio: From Implementation to Results demonstrates to investors that impact investments can compete with, and at times outperform, traditional asset allocation strategies while pursuing meaningful and measurable social and environmental impact results.
Measuring Impact: Guidelines for Good Impact Practice was developed by the Impact Measurement Working Group (IMWG) of the Social Impact Investment Taskforce
established by the G8. This work elevates existing best practices and aligns with the
European Standard for Social Impact Measurement (developed by GECES).
- The Monitor Institute released their report From Blueprint to Scale; the Case for Philanthropy in Impact Investing.
- Impact Investment: The Invisible Heart of the Market created by the Social Impact Investment Taskforce.
- Impact Investing Australia has produced the Delivering on Impact: The Australian Advisory Board Breakthrough Strategy to Catalyse Impact Investment. The strategy outlines an ambitious program of activity to catalyse the impact investing market in and from Australia. Impact Investing Australia is driving its implementation.